mostlylucid

scott galloway's personal blog...
posts - 916, comments - 758, trackbacks - 11

My Links

News

Archives

Post Categories

Misc. Coding

Ever get the feeling you've just made a huge mistake?

Ok, here's the story...In October I saw a posting on Darren Jefford's blog - saying that the team he works on are looking for some new people. Well, I applied...passed both telephone screens and was due to head down to MS Reading for a face-to-face interview. Problem is that it would involve relocating to Reading (I currently live in Edinburgh and all my family are about 60 miles away) - at first I hadn't considered this a problem but the more I thought about it and talked to my family, the more of a problem this seemed - right now there's no way I can relocate that far away.
I've just talked to the MS recruiter and told her I was withdrawing my application.
I honestly feel like I've thrown away my last chance at a dream job - it was just the ideal fit for my interests, working style...everything...apart from location.

I'm so depressed.

Print | posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 12:20 PM |

Feedback

# re: Ever get the feeling you've just made a huge mistake?

It can't be your dream job if you would have moved away from all your family and friends. Your "real" dream job will come along one day. :)

12/9/2004 3:20 PM | Darrell

# re: Ever get the feeling you've just made a huge mistake?

I know but it currently looks like to move my career forward (yes, I'm still in that mindset and ages away from 'settling down') I'll have to move away at some point. Oddly, a move overseas would be preferable to moving down south (had some bad experiences in the South of England in earlier days...)

12/9/2004 3:24 PM | Scott Galloway

# re: Ever get the feeling you've just made a huge mistake?

Maybe it is not too late to get back in the process?

You are right - it is tough to make this kind of decission - I think your family would be very happy if you were happy at your job.

And who knows maybe you wouldn't have liked it there and came back...

Maybe it is not too late - do it!

12/9/2004 6:41 PM | Anna Shchurova

# re: Ever get the feeling you've just made a huge mistake?

Thanks for that Anna, speaking to them it probably isn't too late, they were really nice and understanding of my situation. There's some stuff going on with my family right now which would make it tough to relocate - at the moment. In a few months things might be easier and I might just end up going after all.

12/9/2004 6:47 PM | Scott Galloway

# re: Ever get the feeling you've just made a huge mistake?

The English aren't all that bad you know. I married one!

Having a dream job is one thing, but if it means missing out on a dream life, maybe it's not worth it. But if everything works out with the family I hope you'll be able to take that job - I know how much you want it - and get the dream job AND the dream life.

12/10/2004 7:25 PM | Michael Falconer

# re: Ever get the feeling you've just made a huge mistake?

look at is this way. when you're old, and on your deathbed (how's that cold?) will you be thinking:

a) i wish i'd spent more time close to the ones i love

or

b) i wish i'd moved to reading?

i'm sure many more opportunities will present themselves!

12/13/2004 9:43 AM | JonR

# re: Ever get the feeling you've just made a huge mistake?

JonR, Michael, thanks for the comments. As I mentioned, my current situation is really pretty temporary - things should be resolved in a few months which will really free me up to move just about anywhere (well, for Microsoft at least :-))

12/13/2004 11:12 AM | Scott Galloway

Comments have been closed on this topic.

Powered by: